Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Never gonna kick television

Sitting in the local it's a grind, trying to be productive. It's hard work when they are tearing up the sidewalk with one of those huge drills that vibrate really hard (a drill bit, possibly? I don't know, I'm not well versed in construction equipment, surprising, I know) and my computer is going really slow because I'm downloading an episode of Mad Men off iTunes. So I'm just sitting staring at the computer not doing anything and I'm the only one in the coffee shop, because who else is free to sit in a coffee shop Tuesday at 3 in the afternoon? The people who work here are probably wondering what the hell I'm up to, why have I been sitting here so long. I mean it's not like they have any customers to serve to distract them from ruminating over what I could possibly be doing here for so long alone with my little dell and mint mocha blended coffee...

My TV show obsession earlier this summer has subsided somewhat, now I am addicted to buying TV shows on iTunes and watching them on my iTouch. Not really a positive progression, actually it's worse because it's more expensive buying all those episodes instead of waiting for Netflix DVDs to arrive in the mail. The only bad thing about Netflix is you have to finish watching the movies you have so the other movies in your queque can be sent to you, which means I have to wait until I am in the right mood at the right time to watch the movies. This means I end up holding on to Dead Man Walking for 3-4 weeks because who really wants to watch that movie? I feel like I have to and then I feel a resistance to anything I have to do, but I really have to because I want to see all my other movies in my queque! Oh the frustration. So until I hit that perfect alignment of mood and timing, I will watch television on my iTouch, oh and finish watching the 5th season of Gilmore Girls for oh maybe the 3rd time... but that's just usual fair.

I have been trying to figure out lately why in gods name I have the ability to watch episode after episode of Gilmore Girls for any given amount of time no matter what. I just never get sick of it. I wonder if I will ever reach that point... you know and get sick of it. If I do at least I'll have iTunes and Netflix at my disposal to keep me busy.

I have been keeping up with my daily exercise! I am so proud of myself, I have actually committed to it for over a week! It's one of those times I wish I had a therapist or someone I could gloat to.

Maybe I should be glad I don't have a therapist.. or maybe I need one?

I'm confused, anyway, when I use the stationary bike in the basement I watch movies, and I have made a wonderful rediscovery of all the old VHS tapes we have of movies from the 80s, 90s and beyond! Highlights include Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Mystic Pizza, Ghost, Romancing the Stone, Working Girl and Top Gun. I was so excited! I forgot how motivational some 80s flicks could be. I can't wait to make them into DVDs on this crazy machine my dad has. I'm totally bringing them to school with me! not like I actually have time when I'm in school to watch all those movies, but it's just comforting to know they're there... I am starting to realize most people aren't as oddly comforted by movies and TV as I am. I'm hoping this doesn't mean my happiness is completely reliant on the false perfection of film and TV...mm whatever, I'll leave that to my potential psychiatrist to decide.

No comments: