Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Had an art history lesson in the Louvre today, it was kind of awesome. I love that I can just hop on a train and hang out in the Louvre for an hour and come back home like it's no big deal.

You know what's funny about most of the sculptures there? (Besides the hilarious lion biting man in the ass sculpture) There is always, coincidentally, somehow a sheet of fabric, (cape maybe?) strategically placed over the privates. It's odd when you think about it: they're in battle, or reigning a horse or doing something where you wouldn't think would ever require a sheet of fabric- and there is a sheet draped just so over the goods.

I don't think it's because it was inapro-po to show what's south of the border at the time, but rather, the sculptors just got tired of doing that part, because there are plenty of sculptures that do show that part. (And it always seems to be a small part too if you know what I mean). Of course I would be terrified to mention any of this to a professor, especially in French, but I will always be left wondering: Why exactly did they make that choice?

Until I get the balls to ask someone, I guess I'll just be left guessing.

No comments: